Friday, February 2, 2007

"Closing Thoughts"

I'm not at all sure that any thoughts about this trip can be "closing". In fact, I think I'll be having lots of thoughts about what happened in the last 3 weeks for a long, long time.

I can say that upon returning that I was extremely glad to be back in the U.S. on familiar and friendly territory. Back to my loving wife, back to my great friends and back to the grocery store where I know exactly what aisle the Honey Bunches Of Oats are in, back to my bank where the bank teller still smiles and calls me "Mr Van Diver", back to my hardware store where a friendly hello awaits next to the 1/2" copper tubing. Even back to Music Row which seems so insignificant now. You get the picture. I've often pondered on my good luck that I was born in the United States and coming home once again supports that thinking.

I can also say that the military personnel we had the privilege to spend time with were awesome people. We are truly in good hands and I am glad for their willingness to do what they do for our sake.

And I can say I wish every American could experience a fraction of the experience we had. I look now at the news reports of activities there with different eyes and ears. I pray that when another American casualty is announced that it isn't one of the soldiers I spent time with.

Finally, I can say that I'm angry. I'm angry that our human race can't overcome the need for war and killing. Angry at our policy makers on both sides of the congressional aisle and in the White House for the bickering, finger pointing and policy decisions that were made that led us up to our current situation and keep us in it. I believe that if these policy makers were able to get away from self-serving sound bytes and remove themselves for a brief moment from their own self preservation egos and spent the same kind of 18 days with the same people we did, that things would be significantly different on the nightly news.

When I remember looking into the eyes of those fine men and women of all ages, races and religions, I'm torn between wanting to let them do the job they were trained to do (and are very willing to do) and wanting them to come home now.

All that being said, I need to say a lot of thank yous. First and most importantly thank you to Gracie for understanding that I needed to do this. I didn't know how much I needed to until I returned home.

Thanks also to the great guys in the band - all of them clearly "got it" there. John - I hope we get to put more songs to music soon. Phil - looking forward to more stories, wit and songs with you. Cort - "Mr Carbiner" what would we have done without your expertise on so many tech issues? Bob - I continue to admire your wit, creativity and intelligent outlook on the world, and look forward to more of the same.

And Thom - Thom has been working his tail off since last fall for this tour. He printed up special t-shirts, hats, cds, and pictures to give away (at no profit) to the soldiers. It made an incredible lasting impression for them. He was constantly on the phone and emails and who-knows-what-else to make this work. He has a calling and is the perfect guy to bring a slice of home to these men and women. I am truly grateful, Thom, that you gave me this unique opportunity to share your calling. I hope I didn't let you down.

And finally thanks to all of you folks out there who believe in supporting our troops - regardless of your political leanings - and supporting our efforts.

Whew! That's a lot! How about some closing pictures to remember this trip by?

Here is a great one Bob took. These soldiers may be really cute, but I wouldn't want to mess with them right after they got their hair and nails done:




We met this soldier on the C-5 transport jet taking us to Kuwait. From Kuwait, the flight - and this soldier - was heading to Baltimore. That is what we called a "going home smile"!



Here's one more of the guys that made it happen (counterclockwise from the left - John, Bob, Cort, Thom and Philip:



and one more of me with the ones that count most of all:



May God bless them all!

And thank you, thank you everyone, for your comments, emails and support. It has been my great joy bringing this to you all.

Love and Peace,
Jerry

1 comment:

Steve said...

Love and Peace...INDEED!

Great "Closing Thoughts."

I sat here in my cozy living room and read this last entry to the rest of my family. I felt a welling up of emotion as I did. Everyone responded with a "cool" or "very cool." My daughter, especially enjoyed the pictures of the soldiers. She is a big fan of all our troops.

Jerry (and the band), thanks again. Gracie, thank you!

A band of musicians sharing love and home with a band of brothers and sisters. Very, very nice.

Blessings!

Steve