Sunday, February 4, 2007

The right way, the wrong way and the Army way..

January 4, 2007

I thought I'd start this thread with my initial trip experience - and I haven't even left Tennessee!

I was scheduled to get my immunization shots at Ft Campbell (whoops - I guess I did leave TN as Ft Campbell is in KY) at 1 pm today. So I drive 60 miles to the base, get a pass to enter (you have to show them id, proof of vehicle registration and insurance first) and head over to the base "Travel Clinic". After chatting with a few soldiers in the clinic I was called back to be interviewed with an officer about my medical history. Once completed, I was told that now the specific immunization shots were ordered and to come back the next day to have them administered.

"Next day?"

"Yes, the clinic is closed today and is only open from 1230 hrs to 1700 hrs and is on a different part of the base."

"We couldn't have done this part by telephone?"

"No, we needed to see your orders first."

So 120 miles later I'm still not immunized. Okay, tomorrow then.

I hope.

I don't think I would have done well in "this man's Army".

3 comments:

Gabe said...

Hah! Hope you get your shots tomorrow. Maybe you can call first to make sure they've arrived?

Ragamuffin said...

I remember my days as a pincushion in the USAF. Roll up them sleeves and take it like a man, man!

Enjoy the experience, Jerry - after all, you get to see it all without a 4-year commitment!

Following with great interest here in Minnesota!

Tracy Keeney said...

Hey Jerry!
Tracy Keeney here- from the Kansas City chapter of NSAI.
You are so WONDERFUL for being there to support the troops. I'm sure all our heroes over there are having a blast at your shows and I'll bet all the maintenance troops are loving "Athen's Grease"!
You know-- the next time you come for a pro-writer visit we'll probably be asking you a million questions about your trip over there, and never get to the music!!
Be safe Jerry, and God bless you for doing this!