Sunday, February 4, 2007

Next stop, Qatar

January 22, 2007

As we are waiting for our clearance to fly out to Qatar, I thought I’d toss a few extra miscellaneous tidbits of our time here at Camp Lemonier, Djibouti, Africa.

On a light note, I noticed some base misspellings here and there



If you are “insure” of something, just ask:



I saw some ravens nesting on the base speakers. I imagine they are permanently humming “Reveille” all day. Just one of those songs you can’t get out of your mind.



The camp’s laundry facility:



Just like in the Boundary Waters, life finds a way to survive here in the dust and gravel. I imagine this is probably getting its water from the ac’s condensation:



This may be my favorite picture of the trip so far. I mentioned earlier how moving “Taps” is (each nite at 10pm) when the camp stops to remember its fallen soldiers. I was able to get a nice picture of that event last night:



One of the Army commanders was just incredible, really looking after us. Lt Col Coker. I told him his men are lucky to be in his command. He is 2nd from the right next to me.



One of the soldiers is a songwriter from Pensacola. He got up to play a couple of songs. Another guy was getting out today and came up to sing “Leavin’ Here A Better Man” to everyone. Very cool.



When we first saw our itinerary, the jokes quickly came out about Djibouti. But now everyone agrees this camp and its soldiers have a special place in our hearts.

We have a 6 hr flight to Qatar, currently planning on leaving around 5:30 this afternoon, but there’s not telling what exactly will occur - schedule wise, but hope to arrive there around midnite.

Again, I really look forward to checking in on everyone’s comments and emails. Brings a big smile.

Keep it up!

Off to Qatar

11 comments:

Loxriver said...

Jerry:
Great stuff, as usual.
Getting a much better understanding of what our troops are going through, and how wonderful it is you and your companions made the trip to help bring a slice of home to them.

cc said...

Jerry, I'm enjoying your correspondence skills which are great! This opportunity will be 2G2B4G,ever. From NSAI-KC.
Thanks, CC

Ragamuffin said...

Amazing stuff, Jerry! Sorry I dropped out for a few days - Jaime had her tonsils out last Thursday and spent a night in the hospital, so we're kind of off-balance (although compared to you, man oh man!). Great to see you got a ride on my old bird (spent 5 years in the bowels of C-130s). We sure missed you at the platyfest last night. Wish we could have all been there with you for a couple of those accoustic sets. You guys are doing a great thing - keep it up! I'm proud to say I know ya!

Hang in there, Gracie!

Steve said...

More great looks and lines, Jerry! Thanks.

I continue to be impressed with understanding your purpose over there. The way you and/or the band "gave-up" the stage for a moment of cool fun is great. I know it wasn't your stage to begin with but it shows me it wasn't about you guys. Keep up the good work.

Hmmmm, I'm wondering how "Revielle" could make it into a country song... Revielle countrified! Hey, it could happen.

Thanks again Jerry and band!

Steve

Gabe said...

That pic of the plant growing under the AC condensation drip is awesome.

Thanks for sharing a little bit of Camp Lemonier with all of us. Can't wait for Qatar!

Paula said...

I'm a friend of J's who linked me to your blog. Great read and insight into what it's like over there.

Thanks for bringing a bit of home to our guys and gals over there, particularly those unscheduled, impromptu performances for those who couldn't make the shows. That's awesome!

Paula

Monica said...

I have really enjoyed reading your recaps of your trip! I'm also a friend of J's and she linked us to your blog.

Thanks for what you are doing. The military is very dear to my heart and I appreciate you bringing them some fun and happiness while they are serving our country!

Dawn said...

Hey Jerry - It's great to see you having fun with our troops! Thank you for bringing them a little slice of home. Let them know they're in our prayers! I look forward to keeping up with your travels - from NSAI-KC - Dawn =)

Glydr said...

Jerry, really enjoying the blog. Reading a bit everyday. I agree with you that t shirt was great. Know what you mean about the emotional situation. I was moved by what you wrote, can't imagine the experience. Ditto what Rags said, I am proud to call you friend. Take care! And, thanks!

icanoewenonah said...

Jerry,

I haven't been able to keep up with your "trip" as much as I'd like but am enjoying your pictures even if I can't read for too long.

Hope to see you at Canoecopia!

Anonymous said...

Jerry,

Sorry, you wouldn't recognize my icanoewenonah login, this & that, was actually Lynn from VNO. :-)