Sunday, February 4, 2007

1 show down, 11 to go...

January 17, 2007

First of all, it was awesome this morning and checking in on all the comments keeping me connected to home. Thanks, and keep 'em coming. I never knew my knees were so sexy!

After posting yesterday's blog, Hussein took us to the Naval base here to tour the compound and check out the "venue" where we'll play. Security was intense as we approaced the base, from a distance behind the many barricades:



and closer up:



We were thrilled to find a poster of the gig all over the place. Here's the band and Hussein by one of the posters:




Later, Thom and I decided to check out the streets finding some interesting signs:





and by popular demand, here's a pic of me on a bridge we think crosses into Saudi Arabia:



Upon our return, we went back to the base for a short sound check and then the show. I have to say the band was just spectacular. The musicians were "on" from the first downbeat and the soldiers loved it. Thom put together a great set list of originals and covers that was entertaining, fun and very special. There were several moments that were very emotional for all of us when some songs were being played. During Thom's "Thanks To You" several soldiers stood at attention with hands over their hearts during the whole song! Another took us under his wing. His name is Sean, from Valdosta, Ga, is a helicopter search and rescue officer. Here is myself, Sean, Thom and Dustin, an MP from Oklahoma:



Sean was so enamored with the band and our songwriting backgrounds he went to his apartment and came back with some "gifts". I was stunned to learn he wanted to give me a naval helicopter flight suit! It even fits. Well, kind of.

Sidney, a good guy from India, was there to help with the sound. Here is me (in my new flight suit) and Sidney:



When it came my time to come up and play "Athens Grease" and "For A Little While", the band rocked out. It was a blast and a far cry from the "Bluebirdian" rounds back home:



After the show ended, a lot of guys hung around to talk. They love the connection to home, love to talk about their life here in the military and hanging with someone outside of their normal military routine. I was very touched by their dedication, sincerity and passion. I met one guy in a #10 Vince Young jersey (from California) and another, upon seeing my Titans hat, wanted to talk about Eddie George and NFL football.

Finally, we made it back to the hotel and one of the lounges had pool tables. One Arab befriended Thom and offered to let him wear his head wrap. Here is "Sheik Thom":



Meanwhile, Sheiks shoot pool, too!




That's it for now. Today we hope to see some Bahrainian sites. We're near a big mosque and palace (we heard some Arabic singing loud and clear in the streets yesterday) so that might be in our plans. The Bahranians are very helpful and friendly and it's very safe here to be out in the local color.

Tomorrow we leave for Djibouti.

Again, thanks for checking in and keep those comments coming!

6 comments:

Gabe said...

Flight suit: awesome!
Humps ahead: niiice!

Glad you're having a good time so far. I'm loving the pictures and updates. Keep the posts coming! =-D

Ragamuffin said...

Sounds like a great evening/day. Thanks for the update.

I'd be worried if that sign had said "Humps Behind"

(did I say that???)

Unknown said...

Cool pics and story. It's great to hear first-hand about the other side of the world.

Aren't those knees I see in the pool hall?

Steve said...

Wow, sorry I missed a day, I was having trouble with keeping the account. Anyway, it's all looking (and sounding) good.

Blessings!

Steve

flatbilly said...

Finally getting caught up on your blogs. Great pictures and perspective. Say hey to Bob and Thom. I sent the blog address to the Twin Cities Workshop so you should be hearing from more Minnesooootans soon.
Roy

LiB Team said...

Great to see you are enjoying Bahrain, as for the shorts. I wear shorts there and no one says anything, well to "some" it's frowned upon but even local guys wear shorts.

As for the bridge you are talking about, it links the main island "Bahrain" to another island "Muharraq" in which the airport is situated. My guess is that the first time you crossed another bridge heading for the hotel, it's one of three bridges that connect these two islands.

Hope that you get to come to Bahrain again anytime in the near future, if you do and have 5-6 hours to spare, I can get you a tour all around our tiny island from a local's perspective and introduce you to some local meals.