Sunday, February 4, 2007

A fine display of military intelligence...

January 18,2007

Before you follow this post, note that this is part 2 of the post below, "Another great nite", so you may want to browse that first and then come back here.

Back so soon? Okay, here we go.

So as I said below, we were scheduled to leave the hotel at 6am and board a military flight to Djibouti. We left the hotel with packed suitcase and all our band gear (a lot of stuff!) and just as we were walking to the gate to the military airport our liason, Manjou, gets a phone call.

"Your flight has been rescheduled for 0600 tomorrow."

What?!!?

"Be on standby, however, because we may fly out at 1200 hrs or 0300 hrs as well."

There was no explanation as to the change of plans. (BTW, when we didn't get our departure schedule until 10:30 last nite which created a hurried packing of gear and personal items right after the show.)

But what's a band to do? All we could do was head back to the hotel, check back in (at $120/night - remember this is being paid for by our military budget) and keep our bags packed - and just roll with the punches and smile.

Remember the old advertisement for the Army that said, "We get more done by 6am than you do in a day" ?

I don't think so.

Anyway, no tents for us tonite. Darn. I was looking forward to comparing that with my Boundary Waters trips. I kind of doubt we'll be at a 5 star site.

All that being said, I promised to post some more pictures, so here goes.



Bob seems to have picked up the language here quickly

I couldn't pass up taking this one. Starbucks is EVERYWHERE!



No one was interested in going in here:



Or here, for that matter, but this mosque is a part of a large Islamic center:




I know I've introduced you to the band before, but I wanted to show them to you when they are at their best. Thom is the leader/lead singer/entertainer/acoustic guitar player. Cort is an aweosme fiddle player. Here is Thom and Cort (I got a better pic of Thom, but the red-eye touch-up feature messed up and I don't want to embarrass him):



Bob does his share of singing his hit songs and filling in on the entertainment side as well. Not only is he a hit songwriter, he's a great, great guitar player:



Philip is a great bass player and knows how to have fun with the audience:



And finally, John knows how to make his drums happen. He was particulary rockin' last night:



And the real reason we are here. I can't tell you how many times all of us have been thanked by the soldiers and sailors for us coming over here. They are the most appreciative audience I have ever seen. This particular gang just got in only hours before. They had been couped up on a submarine for a couple of weeks and were ready to let off some steam. They definitely did that:



When I sang my Tim McGraw hit they were all singing along at the top of their lungs. Alcohol induced, admittedly, but I sure got a kick out of it. Even signed a bunch of autographs!


I'm having a blast posting these and checking in on all your comments. Please keep it up.


That's it for now. Except for the waiting.

To be continued.......

10 comments:

Hoz said...

Party on Garth!

A hot time in the desert....

gracieland said...

Will somebody please tell Hubby-Poo to give the camera to someone else so I can see a picture of him too?!

You guys are doing a great job. Makes me proud.

Big love,
Wifey-Poo

Unknown said...

The new Army motto is "Army Strong". Maybe they need to make that "Army Strong Sense of Patience".

Very interesting pictures and stories. Jerry, you're a great travel reporter.

We all look forward to your next post. Maybe you'll eventually make it to Djibouti.

Unknown said...

great job jerry! man, i wish i was with you guys. y'all are lucky to be able to give something back to those troops.

y'all need to work up some songs from "ishtar"! "there's a wardrobe of love in my eyes..."

hey to thom.
clint

Anonymous said...

Hey Jerry!

This is sooo cool. Make every set a good one and have a safe trip home!

eric
(vitaminE)

Steve said...

I love following this blog! Best blog around now. Not that I do a lot of blogging, but hey it's my opinion anyway.

It looks great Jerry! Looks like you are bringing a lot of fun and happiness where your going and where you've been. Keep it up! It's worth it.

And btw, please share the camera, poor gracie needs to see the chrome dome smile!

Steve

Ray said...

Glad it's going over well, and that you guys are doing something to help morale....but, it seems to me that songs like "Athens Grease" and "Redneck Yacht Club" would be really hard to lip-synch. I give you guys credit for pulling that off! Who knows what they'd do if they knew...

neg said...

For some reason I didnt get your email about this blog until today - keep up the good work -
I just got through trying to explain a blog to mom - now I have a headache - She wanted me to read the whole thing and
wanted you to know she called Gracie today - hello Wifey-Poo

Have fun sounds like an amazing adventure
you are missing all the ice storms in southwest MO

Nancy

gracieland said...

Nancy is braver than me. I passed on trying to explain a blog to your mom when I talked to her last night.

Hey Nancy - give me a call when you're in Nashville next week. Let's get together if you have time in your schedule.

-Gracie

neg said...

Gracie

The best was when I told mom that I would just print it off and mail it to her and she said - then what do I do with it - boy she needs to get a computer - I hope I am going to Nashville - our town is current considered a National Disaster - we got FEMA and the National Guard - the whole town lost power- but we had ours - now I need to fly out Sunday and they are forecasting more snow and ice - hopefully we can get together Tuesday night - Wed & Thursday they have plans for us